Tuesday, February 21, 2017 Medina 56°
Serving Medina County since 1832

Breaking

Zombies on the run scare up funding for Project: LEARN

  • https-medinagazette-smugmug-com-Zombie-Run-scares-up-funding-i-mDjzDb7-0-M-101715Zombie01AS-M

They crouched behind trees waiting …

Buckeye Woods Park was no place for the faint of heart Saturday. Zombies were lurking everywhere.

The Lafayette Township park was transformed Saturday into a fundraising event for Project: LEARN of Medina County, an education and literacy group.

“We love doing events that appeal to different parts of the community,” Project: LEARN Executive Director Karla Robinson said.

“There is a large amount of runners in Medina County, and this recent zombie craze is hilarious. We decided to combine them to create this event.”

The event, in its fourth year, consisted of a 5K course in which runners are encountered by “zombies.”

Project: LEARN expanded its Zombie Run this year by adding an event for children — the Zom-Wee Run. During this event, children traveled about a mile with no zombies on their course.

Registration fees and donations from the event will benefit Project: LEARN’s literacy and tutoring programs throughout Medina County. The total of funds raised was not available Sunday.

“About 60 percent of our funding comes from our BookShelf stores,” Robinson said, “and the other 40 percent comes from the proceeds of these events. The best part for me is knowing that this funding stays in the county and helps people locally. It makes all the hard work worthwhile knowing what a difference we make.”

The organization’s three BookShelf stores — in Brunswick, Medina and Wadsworth — carry a variety of used books.

The group’s tutoring programs include general equivalency diploma, reading instruction and English as a second language.

“I’m a huge supporter of Project: LEARN,” said Karl Gerhard, of Medina, who portrayed a zombie at this year’s event.

“The entire event is great. I participated two years ago, and the run takes place in a beautiful time of year and in a beautiful park setting. Project: LEARN’s cause makes it event more enjoyable.”

“The best part is the creativity of our participants,” Robinson said.

“They put so much time and energy into their costumes. The high-energy of this event is overwhelming.”

To learn more about Project: LEARN, visit http://projectlearnmedina.org.

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…