COLUMBUS — Former Ohio State star Brian Hartline has been promoted to interim wide receivers coach on Urban Meyer's staff.
He succeeds Zach Smith, who was fired Monday amid allegations of domestic abuse. Hartline was on the staff as a quality control coach with receivers last season.
Hartline had 90 catches for 1,429 yards and 12 touchdowns for Ohio State from 2005 to 2008 and spent seven seasons in the NFL. He inherits a veteran receiver corps, with the Buckeyes' top six pass-catchers from 2017 returning.
Meyer on Thursday also promoted third-year program assistant Corey Dennis to a senior quality-control position, working with the wide receivers and quarterbacks. Dennis is married to Meyer's daughter, Nicki.
- Ohio State's Meyer put on leave, investigation opened (UPDATED)
- College football: Bloom not off Rose Bowl for Ohio State's Urban Meyer
- Ohio State coach Urban Meyer to retire after Rose Bowl (UPDATED)
- Ohio State: Urban Meyer devotes weekly news conference to suspension, trying to repair damage to program
- Ohio State trustee resigns, calls Urban Meyer's penalty too light
- Ohio State football: Open records experts say Urban Meyer may have broken the law if he deleted old texts
- Jim Ingraham: For THE Ohio State University, Urban Meyer is obviously too big to fail
- Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer suspended 3 games
- By keeping it in the family, Urban Meyer tarnishes legacy
- Ohio State trustees deliberate Urban Meyer's coaching future (UPDATED)
- Ohio State: OSU trustees to meet Wednesday to discuss Urban Meyer's future
- That scrutinized bit of Urban Meyer's OSU contract may be new norm
- Ohio State football: Plenty of concerns off the field, but expectations still high for Buckeyes, even with a new QB
- Jim Ingraham: Ohio State's Urban Meyer just might be fumbling his career away
- Ohio State closing practice to media in wake of Urban Meyer investigation
- Paul Newberry: It's tough to believe a 'control freak' like Urban Meyer didn't know
- Ohio State: Buckeyes' receivers ready to answer Meyer's call
- UPDATED: Ex-Buckeye WR Brian Hartline visits Browns
- Browns Notes: WR Brian Hartline added to concussion list
- Browns WR Brian Hartline has surgery to repair broken collarbone, placed on IR
- Changes coming? Browns seem headed for more upheaval following finale vs. Pittsburgh
- Browns cut veteran wide receiver Brian Hartline