A Wadsworth teenager, who will be tried as an adult in the death of a 98-year-old Wadsworth resident, faces four counts of aggravated murder.
On Tuesday, a Medina County grand jury indicted Gavon N. Ramsay, 17, of Wadsworth, on nine counts. Along with the four aggravated murder charges, he is charged with two counts of murder, one count of kidnapping, one count of aggravated burglary and one count of gross abuse of a corpse in the death of Margaret Douglas, according to a news release from county Prosecutor S. Forrest Thompson.
If convicted, he could face up to life in prison, county Juvenile Court Judge Kevin Dunn said at Ramsay’s May 16 hearing, where it was determined the teen met the necessary statutory factors to be tried as an adult,
The teen is being held at the Medina County Juvenile Detention Center on $1 million bond.
Ramsay was arrested April 16 in the Cleveland area after Wadsworth police detectives were notified of his possible involvement in Douglas’ death.
Douglas’ body was discovered April 9 in a closet in her home in the 300 block of Portage Street. It was concealed by various items and clothing. It is believed she died April 6 in the early morning hours, police said.
Wadsworth police Lt. Dave Dorland previously said it is believed Douglas was strangled, and at first there did not appear to be any visible signs of trauma to her body.
“It wasn’t until we had a detective that was present during the autopsy and received information from the doctor who performed the autopsy as to what actually did kill her,” Dorland said.
He said Ramsay “lived relatively close by to (Douglas). From what we have been able to determine, he did have some interaction with her a couple years ago.”
At one point, the teen approached Douglas at her home to see if she needed help with yard work or home repairs, Dorland said.
Ramsay’s arraignment before Common Pleas Judge Joyce V. Kimbler has not yet been set, according to the release.
- Teen pleads not guilty to murder charges in death of Margaret Douglas
- Phone evidence allowed in trial of Wadsworth teen accused of killing woman, 98
- Prosecutor: Gavon Ramsay "fascinated" by murder and wanted to kill Margaret Douglas (UPDATED)
- 1. Brutal murder of widow shocks community
- Teen prosecutors called 'serial killer in training' gets life without parole in killing of 98-year-old Wadsworth woman (UPDATED)
- Judge rules teen suspected in 98-year-old woman's killing can be tried as an adult (VIDEO)
- Teen charged with murder in death of Wadsworth woman
- Arrest made in death of Margaret Douglas (UPDATED)
- Body of elderly woman found in Wadsworth