The April 9 discovery of Margaret Douglas’ body inside a closet in her Wadsworth home left a community in need of answers.
The 98-year-old widow was strangled to death and then hidden in the closet, covered with various items and clothing. It is believed she died April 6 in the early morning hours, police said.
On April 16, the shock of the brutal crime was only amplified when police arrested 17-year-old Wadsworth High School student Gavon Ramsay. He was later indicted by a grand jury on nine counts, including four aggravated murder charges, two counts of murder, one count of kidnapping, one count of aggravated burglary and one count of gross abuse of a corpse.
It was determined Ramsay would be tried as an adult and for months the burning question of why would a teenage boy kill his elderly neighbor remained unanswered for the community. Ramsay initially pleaded not guilty to all of the charges and a gag order issued by the court barred attorneys on both side from saying a word.
The most damning aspect of the case was made public months later. Then, it was learned that Ramsay had videos of a deceased Douglas on a cell phone he used and police had journal writings from Ramsay with his fantasies of murder.
Soon, the teen elected to withdraw a previous plea of not guilty and entered a plea of no contest in connection with the brutal killing of the widow.
Medina County Prosecutor S. Forrest Thompson said after the plea hearing that in his opinion, Ramsay “seemed to be on his way down that path (to becoming a serial killer). He seemed fascinated with it, by the whole concept.”
According to court documents, the prosecution will seek a sentence of life imprison without the possibility of parole when Ramsay is set to be sentenced Thursday.
- Teen prosecutors called 'serial killer in training' gets life without parole in killing of 98-year-old Wadsworth woman (UPDATED)
- Year in review: Highs and lows mark 2018
- Prosecutor: Gavon Ramsay "fascinated" by murder and wanted to kill Margaret Douglas (UPDATED)
- Phone evidence allowed in trial of Wadsworth teen accused of killing woman, 98
- Teen pleads not guilty to murder charges in death of Margaret Douglas
- Wadsworth teen faces 4 aggravated murder charges
- Judge rules teen suspected in 98-year-old woman's killing can be tried as an adult (VIDEO)
- Teen charged with murder in death of Wadsworth woman
- Arrest made in death of Margaret Douglas (UPDATED)
- Body of elderly woman found in Wadsworth