COLUMBUS — No major problems were reported Tuesday as voters cast ballots to wrap up one of Ohio’s most expensive, nasty and unpredictable primary seasons in recent memory.
The polls are open until 7:30 p.m. as Ohioans pick Republican and Democratic nominees for governor and a Republican U.S. Senate candidate, and decide a host of unusually competitive congressional and state legislative seats.
Voters also are considering a bipartisan redistricting proposal that would change how congressional districts are drawn. The effort is aimed at reducing the partisan manipulation of maps known as gerrymandering.
Absentee voting is up compared with the same time in the 2014 midterm election, the secretary of state’s office said.
In the race for governor, Republicans will choose between former U.S. senator and current state Attorney General Mike DeWine and Lt. Gov. Mary Taylor, a former state auditor who has spent the year distancing herself from the administration of term-limited GOP Gov. John Kasich.
Democratic candidates include Richard Cordray, who served as consumer watchdog under President Barack Obama; former U.S. Rep. Dennis Kucinich; state Sen. Joe Schiavoni; and former Ohio Supreme Court Justice Bill O’Neill.
In the Republican Senate primary , Rep. Jim Renacci and investment banker Mike Gibbons are squaring off to face Democratic U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown in November.
Also seeking the GOP nomination in Tuesday’s primary are Marysville small business owner Melissa Ackison, Cincinnati-area financial management company founder Daniel Kiley and retired public administrator Don Elijah Eckhart from Galloway.
- Judges: North Carolina Congress map still unlawful with partisan bias
- Turnout key as Mike DeWine, Richard Cordray wrap tight Ohio governor race
- Sherrod Brown defeats Jim Renacci for third term in U.S. Senate
- Brown in 2020? Ohio senator ponders presidential bid (VIDEO, UPDATED)
- Former Ohio House leader Batchelder defends congressional map in court
- Voters go to polls in primaries to replace Ohio Governor John Kasich