Thursday, June 21, 2018 Medina 76°

Local Medina County News

Brunswick moves ahead on North Carpenter Road project


Brunswick City Council approved legislation Monday night that will allow the city to move forward with a two-mile reconstruction project on North Carpenter Road that city officials said is “long overdue.”

City Engineer Matt Jones said the project will reconstruct two miles of North Carpenter between Clover Lane and Boston Road. It will include new pavement, curbs, sidewalks, storm sewers and adjustments to vertical alignment.

The estimated $12.6 million project also will widen the Grafton Road and North Carpenter intersection with the addition of left-turn lanes. The rest of the road, Jones said, will be two lanes.

The project will be funded 80 percent by the Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency. The remaining 20 percent will be split between the city and Brunswick Hills Township, as 21 percent of the road project is in the township.

The Ohio Department of Transportation’s preliminary cost estimate for the city is $1.9 million.

Finance Director Todd Fischer said Brunswick has sufficient funds to cover its share of the project as a result of the city’s multiyear capital set-aside program and capital budget plan.

He said in six years, the city has set aside more than $2 million for the project.

“We have our portion of the funds ready to go,” Fischer said.

However, the time frame for the project is contingent on a pending State Infrastructure Bank loan by NOACA for the project’s federal funding share.

“The whole project can’t move forward without funding from NOACA,” Jones said. “We’re supposed to hear from (NOACA) this month.”

“We’re moving forward as if funding is there,” he continued. “If not, (the project) will be put on hold.”

If federal funding is approved, Jones said, construction is tentatively scheduled to begin in the spring/summer of 2018.

NOACA handles transportation and environmental planning for five counties: Medina, Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake and Lorain.

In other news

  • Council approved a full-time information technology assistant position in the city’s division of information and public communications. The annual salary range is $45,265 to $77,900. Rob Marok told Council the funds were allotted in this year’s approved budget. The position can be filled 30 days after Council’s approval.
  • The Building and Building Code Committee will meet 6:15 p.m. Monday to discuss Ordinance 6-17 regarding the registration of rental properties in Brunswick.

Contact reporter Halee Heironimus at (330) 721-4012 or

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…