A Hinckley Township man accused of killing his siblings a year ago pleaded guilty Monday to two counts of aggravated murder.
Dean Simms, 43, shot and killed his sister, Cynthia Gesaman, 52, and brother, Randy Szychowicz, 45, at the home they shared on Babcock Road on Feb. 6 last year.
Medina County Common Pleas Judge Christopher J. Collier will sentence Simms April 3.
Each count of aggravated murder carries a sentence of between life in prison with the possibility of parole after 20 years and life in prison without parole. Each charge also carries a firearms specification that Collier said is punishable by three years in prison that must be served consecutively to the murder sentence.
The night of the shootings, Simms called 911 and told the dispatcher: “You should send like everything you got to 2629 Babcock Road. I just killed my brother and sister.”
He was charged with aggravated murder after police found the bodies of Gesaman and Szychowicz dead of shotgun wounds to the head.
He has been held at the Medina County Jail since that night.
Simms’ court-appointed attorney, Robert Campbell, said Monday the death penalty had been under consideration for Simms before his guilty pleas.
“The process has gone fairly,” he added.
Campbell and county Prosecutor Forrest Thompson called the deaths a tragedy and said that reaching a plea deal wasn’t difficult.
Thompson said he discussed sentencing with Simms’ family.
“They are aware of what will happen,” he said Monday. “They will have the opportunity to speak to the court on behalf of the victims and Mr. Simms.”
Contact reporter Marina Malenic at (330) 721-4063 or email@example.com.
- Brother gets life sentences for killing siblings
- Plea deal in works for Hinckley Township murder suspect
- Hinckley Township murder trial delayed
- Hinckley Township man pleads not guilty in siblings' deaths
- Grand jury indicts Hinckley man in siblings' killings
- 911 call: Suspect admits Hinckley Township killings
- Hinckley Township double murder suspect in court today
- UPDATES: Two dead in Hinckley Township shooting; housemate charged