MEDINA — Despite continued opposition to a proposed recovery center at the former Medina Steak & Seafood Restaurant, the county is pursuing a lease agreement, according to county Administrator Scott Miller.
Miller said he expects to have details of the two-year lease for county commissioners to approve at their meeting next Tuesday.
County Chief Probation Officer Veronica Perry has said the facility would be a safe place for those who have completed addiction recovery.
Perry secured a $300,000 state grant to start the facility. The Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction provides such grants to help counties open centers offering services to recovering addicts.
The county probation department will administer the grant, but a nonprofit group and an executive board could be brought in to help operate the facility. Perry has said county officials have been in discussions with Robby’s Voice, a Medina addiction awareness organization, to take the nonprofit role.
Delane Nagel, owner of the nearby Spitzer House Bed and Breakfast, spoke at Tuesday’s commissioners meeting during the public comment period.
“It’s not too late to do the right thing,” she told the commissioners. “I’m begging you to put children first.”
Nagel said the neighbors around the vacant restaurant, 538 W. Liberty St., know better than Common Pleas judges Christopher J. Collier and Joyce V. Kimbler and Perry.
“These centers don’t belong in residential neighborhoods,” Nagel said. “It’s not too late to find a better location. The ($300,000) grant is not predicated on this location.
“You’re not supposed to rubber-stamp everything that comes across your desk.”
The Historic Bankers Row Neighborhood Association, led by president Beth Biggins-Ramer, came up with about a dozen options for sites other than the vacant restaurant.
“We’re in support of a center,” Biggins-Ramer said recently. “It’s the location.”
Contact reporter Bob Finnan at (330) 721-4049 or email@example.com.
- ADAMH supports Robby's Voice recovery center
- Robby's Voice, board at odds over alcohol sales at restaurant
- Cleaning up for a new beginning at old Medina Steak & Seafood
- County approves 2-year lease for recovery center
- Robby's Voice to run recovery center in Medina
- Outcry continues as recovery center lease nears finalization
- Nonprofit advocates for rehab center
- Meeting to discuss Medina recovery home doesn't go as planned
- Public invited to Q&A panel on proposed recovery center in Medina
- Medina councilman seeks common ground after proposed recovery facility sparks outcry
- Medina residents take objections to recovery facility to commissioners
- Medina residents oppose location of proposed drug abuse recovery center
- County has competition for recovery center site
- Recovery center in works in Medina