The 17th Rally in the Alley concert season begins at 7 p.m. tonight behind Main Street Cafe in Medina’s Public Square.
Sublime tribute band 40 oz. to Freedom will open the season — rain or shine.
Rally organizer and Main Street owner Gary Quesada said a new feature has been added this year — a covered stage for the bands.
“It will like a big semi-trailer, like a Transformer,” he said.
Quesada said he’s renting the trailer for the entire season from a company in Toledo. In the past, bands often played in the rain.
“Electric and water doesn’t mix too well,” he said.
“This will be safer. If we have a day that’s raining lightly, we’re fine with that.”
But when the rain comes down harder, it’s dangerous for the musicians.
“A lot of them have vintage stuff, like an original Fender amp from the ’60s,” Quesada said. “They can’t get that wet. Now, everything is protected.”
He said having the covered stage will help him book some bands.
“Some of the bands we’ve had a couple years in a row,” Quesada said. “I try to rotate everybody.
“Now I can go ahead and book them and guarantee they’ll take the stage. I’ll start booking in the fall for next year with some of the bigger bands.”
The outdoor concerts are on Fridays through September.
Concerts are free, except for the band Wish You Were Here on Labor Day weekend. Tickets details for that show will be announced later.
Contact reporter Bob Finnan at (330) 721-4049 or email@example.com.
Here are the dates and performers for the 7 p.m. Friday night concerts behind Main Street Café at 17 Public Square in Medina:
- Today — 40 oz. to Freedom (Sublime tribute)
- June 2 — Stylee Wild (rock/classic rock)
- June 9 — Colin Dussault Blues Project
- June 16 — CPR Classic Performance Replay (Joe Walsh & Peter Frampton tributes)
- June 23 — TBA
- June 30 — Wanted (Bon Jovi tribute)
- July 7 — Jersey (Bruce Springsteen tribute)
- July 14 — Vicious Cycle (Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute)
- July 21 — TBA
- July 28 — Rumours (Fleetwood Mac tribute)
- Aug. 4 — TBA
- Aug. 11— Out of Eden & Just One Look (Eagles & Linda Ronstadt tributes)
- Aug. 18 — Diamond Dogs (David Bowie tribute)
- Aug. 25 — TBA
LABOR DAY WEEKEND
- Friday, Sept. 1 — Mr. Speed (Kiss tribute)
- Saturday, Sept. 2 — Stylee Wild (rock/classic rock)
- Sunday, Sept. 3 — Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd tribute)