BRUNSWICK — A man and his dog were killed in a fire Monday evening.
A neighbor, Steve Parker, saw smoke upon arriving home from work at about 5:30 p.m.
“I saw the smoke coming from the roof line,” Parker said of the house at 3048 Grafton Road. “You could see it billowing from the roof. I knew something was wrong so I just called 911.”
Brunswick fire Chief Joshua Erskine said after entry firefighters entered the house, a small fire was extinguished in the living room.
“There was white, wispy smoke coming from the roof,” Erskine said at the scene. “We were able to make a quick entry in.”
The identity of the victim was not available Monday evening.
There were no working fire alarms in the home.
“We all think that this will never happen to us, but it does,” Erskine said. “A working smoke detector may have been a very critical piece here and it may have prevented the tragedy.”
The cause of the fire has yet to be determined, Erskine said.
“Currently, it is under investigation,” Erskine said “There does not seem to be any foul play. We cannot rule out discarded smoking material.”
Valley City, Brunswick Hills and Hinckley fire were dispatched to the scene as well as Brunswick police.