Tuesday, June 25, 2019 Medina 74°
Advertisement

Local Medina County News

Neighbors recall Brunswick fire victim

Advertisement

BRUNSWICK — Neighbors of Donald Fobes, who died in a fire at his home Monday, remembered him Tuesday.

Nancy Nichols, a fellow dog owner, said the 70-year-old enjoyed throwing a tennis ball around in his yard for his dog, Omega, who often played with Nichol’s dogs.

“I didn’t know him very well,” Nichols said. “He kept to himself; he was kind of a recluse. He lived by himself. … It was just him and his dog and he adored his dog. That dog adored him.”

Steve Parker, a neighbor who called police to report seeing smoke, said his dog was not his only love.

“He’s very knowledgeable of history,” said Parker who helped Fobes around the yard. “I did his yard every week, cut his grass for him. In the fall I rake his leaves. In the winter I snow-blow for him.”

Firefighters crews quickly entered the house at 3048 Grafton Road and extinguish the fire Monday night.

“I saw the firetrucks come up. I called the kids over, I thought my son would be interested,” said neighbor Nikki Tokmenko on Monday evening. “I was shocked when I saw that they stopped.”

There were no working fire alarms in the one-story home. The State Fire Marshal’s Office is helping the city investigate the fire.

“I pulled up and saw the smoke coming out and I ran over to (Steve) Parker’s house and I said where’s Don?” Nichols said Tuesday. “We were all in shock.”

Contact reporter Alyssa Alfano at (330) 721-4063 or aalfano@medina-gazette.com.


Click to view comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
To Top

Fetching stories…