MEDINA — After much consternation, the Medina Board of Education approved Crossroads Asphalt Recycling’s bid for several asphalting projects this summer.
Crossroads’ bid of $298,257.70 was higher than the recommended Ohio Paving and Construction’s $289,550.17 bid; however, two members of the board were perplexed that Ohio Paving, of Willoughby, failed to sign its bid bond guaranty. It had been signed by the surety company.
OHM Advisors, which served as a consultant to Medina Schools, also said it found two mathematical errors in Ohio Paving’s bid.
All of it added up to the board moving on to the second-lowest bidder, Crossroads Asphalt, of Columbia Station.
OHM’s recommendation to Medina Schools was to waive the bid informalities by Ohio Paving and award it the project, or go with Crossroads Asphalt’s second-lowest bid.
The board decided to approve the second option.
Board member Valerie Pavlik said the oversight and math errors might be a reflection on the company’s work.
Business Director Jon Burkhart said he didn’t care which one the board sided with, he just wanted them to move forward on the bid. He said the project could start in late May or early June.
He said if the board didn’t make a decision Monday, it could push back the start of the project.
“It’s crucial we keep moving this project forward,” Burkhart said.
He said he spoke to the school district’s legal counsel and it said Ohio Paving’s surety bond would have been secured, if the board had gone in that direction.
“I can’t say anything bad about (either of) them,” Burkhart said. “They are both good paving companies.”
OHM also did background checks on the companies.
Crossroads, whose bid was $8,707.53 more than its competitor, was approved 4-0. Board member Doug Eastwood abstained because he’s in the construction business.
Among the projects that will be paved this summer:
- High school Homestead Drive access;
- High school NE Main Drive Lot G;
- Claggett Middle School east, south drive;
- Ella Canavan Elementary parking lot;
- Sidney Fenn Elementary bus loop south parking lot;
- Eliza Northrop Elementary parking lot and east access;
- Ralph Waite Elementary parking lot;
- Central Office, Fenn Elementary parking lot.
Other capital improvements to be done this summer:
- The Medina Community Recreation Center’s roof replacement was awarded to Roberts Roofing Company in the amount of $977,200;
- Tusing Builders LTD was approved to replace Canavan’s roof in the amount of $103,800;
- Claggett Middle School’s gym floor and bleachers will be replaced. The bleachers will cost $95,900 and the gym floor $16,755. The Medina Athletic Booster Club donated $8,000 to the project.