Monday, July 22, 2019 Medina 68°
Advertisement

Local Medina County News

Work happening at former Central Processing Facility

Advertisement

MEDINA — Improvements to the former Central Processing Facility have already begun. Progress, however, isn’t happening fast enough for individual haulers.

Bob Havenga, regional vice president for Rumpke Waste & Recycling Services, of Broadview Heights, told the Medina County Solid Waste Policy Committee during its meeting Thursday that his company has added a very large compactor unit and an enclosed 53-foot cylindrical trailer with three axles.

He said the solid waste district is only the fifth transfer station in the country to have one of the compactors, which load trash into the trailer, The trailer is hauling about 35 tons of trash.

“It’s a behemoth,” said Jim Skora, of GT Environmental, the county’s consultant on the project.

It’s been in operation about a month.

Rumpke signed a 10-year contract to handle the processing and recovery of recyclables, as well as the transfer, transport and disposal of municipal solid waste. It will cost the county $4.9 million a year.

As part of the deal, the county will pay $1.3 million for upgrades at the facility, Medina County Sanitary Engineer Amy Lyon-Galvin previously said.

The problem is the facility has just one entrance, which is causing congested traffic.

“This facility was originally designed for about 400 tons per day,” Havenga said. “Now we have 600 or 700 tons going through (one) door (every day).”

Havenga said they hope to eventually have as many as six doors, which would alleviate much of the congestion. MBI, of Burnham, Illinois, has contracted with Rumpke as its transfer, transport and disposal partner. MBI is developing the equipment.

Rumpke’s vice president said the first time he visited the former CPF, he said, “Oh, my God.”

“I watched the equipment operate,” Havenga said. “I saw the potential. It gives us the ability to do all of our loading at one location, at one pit. It will open up the entire south end of the floor. It will allow us to put in six doors in the south end of the building. Six trucks will be able to back in all at the same time and off load. It will eliminate one of the biggest issues we have. Our loader is comingled with trucks driving through the bay all day long. They cross over the lane of traffic to off load.

“We’ll eliminate that altogether. All of our loading will take place on the north end of the floor. Our loading will take place without crossing the floor.”

He said the operation will become more efficient and safe.

“It will allow us to work the entire floor,” Havenga said.

He said he anticipates it being finished by the end of July.

With the singular inbound lane into the facility, the former CPF experiences rush hour around breakfast time and lunch, said Beth Biggins-Ramer, solid waste district coordinator.

“Our goal is to improve overall throughout our facility,” she said. “Safety is also a big item.

“I wish we could close for a three-month period and get everything done, as opposed to phasing things in and making everything inconvenient. That’s part of what we’re dealing with now is the inconvenience. As a transfer station, you don’t have that luxury.”

Curtis R. Perkins, owner of C. Martin Trucking, didn’t understand the order in which things were done.

“Why didn’t you get the doors done first and then put in the compactor?” he said.

Havenga said it had to be done the way they did it.

“We couldn’t fill the pit before we had the ability to operate this machine,” he said.

Perkins said some of his trucks took two hours to offload at the facility.

Havenga said the improvements will be done in 45 days.

“Things will be much faster,” he said. “That will improve. I’ve managed 20 transfer stations in my career.

“This is the worst floor design I’ve seen.”

The tip fee is expected to increase from $42 to about $55 soon.

Perkins said not only will the tip fee increase, he’ll have to pay his workers overtime just to drop off their loads.

“We have a double whammy working against us,” he said.

In other news

  • According to statistics provided by the Wadsworth Police Department, 24 people have been charged with illegal dumping for depositing non-recyclable items in the single-stream recycling bins in the last 10 months.
    The Wadsworth locations, specifically Weatherstone Park and Friedt Park, have been frequent targets of illegal dumping.
    The citation is a third-degree misdemeanor that would require a court appearance and maximum penalty of up to 60 days in jail and up to a $500 fine.
  • Brunswick Service Director Paul Barnett said the city has received about 26,000 carts for its new recycling program. He expects to get another 4,000 by June 24.
  • There has been some confusion about the residential yard waste program, which began April 1. All Medina County residents that fill out an application will get 13 vouchers to drop off no more than 3.5 cubic yards of yard waste for free. Biggins-Ramer said 1,087 vouchers have been distributed to date.
    Last year, the program collected 3,690 cubic yards. As of May, it has collected 2,915 cubic yards of yard waste.
    Wadsworth city and township residents have been the most active with 258 visits.
    Some residents in Seville Village and Lafayette Township were apparently told it was too late to get the vouchers, which isn’t correct.
  • Appliances can be dropped off every day at the former CPF for $10 per item.
Contact reporter Bob Finnan at (330) 721-4049 or rfinnan@medina-gazette.com.


Click to view comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
To Top

Fetching stories…