The Medina Fire Department respond to a house fire at 833 Baxter St. in Medina Wednesday afternoon. Chief Bob Painter said the fire was extinguished in about 15 minutes and there were no injuries reported.
PHOTO BY ANGEL REEP Enlarge
MEDINA — Neighbor Logan Makse and his friend, Matt Justice, wanted to make sure no one was inside a Medina home Wednesday afternoon when they made the decision to enter the smoldering house.
“I noticed some smoke when I left the house, but I really didn’t think much of it,” Makse said. “I thought maybe somebody was trying to burn some garbage or something next to the house, but when we were passing it we saw that it was coming from the garage and so we stopped the car.”
Justice’s brother, James, called 911 while the he and Makse began knocking on the front door of 433 Baxter St. They didn’t hear an answer.
“We decided to open it up and go in and we walked around yelled out for anybody, didn’t hear anybody,” said Makse, 30.
The pair rescued a cat from the home before getting out and handing the feline off to another neighbor for safe keeping. Firefighters later rescued a second cat.
“I know that there is a little girl that lives there,” Makse said.
“I remember reading you can pass out in your sleep from smoke inhalation and everything. I just wanted to make sure that there were no kids or anyone inside the house.”
Medina Fire Chief Bob Painter said the Fire Department received the call at 2:09 p.m.
“It came in as a possible smoke coming from the garage,” Painter said at the scene.
When firefighters arrived heavy smoke was visible.
“(The fire) went through the garage, up into the attic area and flames started exposing through the roof above the house when I got here,” he said.
Painter said no one was home at the time of the incident, and it took crews about 15 minutes to extinguish the fire.
“We are hitting the hotspots and we will be doing some investigation to see where it started,” he said.
Neighbor Malissia Meuer said she saw smoke coming from the home, and Makse and Justice trying to get into the house before calling 911.
“It is a one-story with a basement,” Meuer said. “It is a ranch with a basement. The way the smoke was going out to the front, it looked like it started in the garage and went into the house.”
According to the Medina County Auditor’s office, the two-bedroom home was built in 1954 and is owned by Schoenstein Properties.
Painter said the home is not habitable.
A damage estimate was not available Wednesday.