BEIRUT — Amid a lull in Damascus’ embattled rebel-held suburbs, a small team of relief workers entered the eastern Ghouta area on Friday to deliver remaining aid left over from a mission earlier in the week, the International Committee of the Red Cross said.
ICRC said a convoy of 13 trucks, including food parcels for 12,000 people, went into Douma — the largest and most populated town in the rebel-held eastern Ghouta, on the edge of the Syrian capital.
The delivery consists of the remaining aid that was not offloaded during a humanitarian aid mission to the enclave on Monday which was cut short because of deteriorating security. The trucks had been stuck at the Wafideen crossing the entire week, waiting to enter to deliver the remaining food parcels and flour bags.
ICRC spokeswoman Indy Sedky said the trucks crossed into eastern Ghouta on Friday “after getting security guarantees from all parties to make sure no incident will happen during the presence of our team” there.
The mission followed what opposition activists and a war monitor said was one of the quietest nights in eastern Ghouta since Syrian government forces escalated their assault on the rebellious region on Feb. 18.
The government and its Russian backers, determined to wrest eastern Ghouta from rebel control after seven years of war, recently intensified the shelling and bombardment to clear the way for its troops to advance on the ground. Around 900 people have been killed in the past three weeks of relentless bombardment.
Government forces this week advanced from the east and were only about a mile away from linking with forces on the western side of eastern Ghouta.
The military gains have caused wide-scale internal displacement as civilians flee government advances toward areas in the territory still held by the rebels.
Nearly 400,000 people are believed to be inside eastern Ghouta. The most built-up and densely populated areas still under rebel control include the towns of Douma, Harasta, Jisreen, Kfar Batna, Saqba and Hammouriyeh.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported airstrikes on Douma and Jisreen just before the 13-truck convoy arrived Friday, following a several-hour lull. It said the lull was result of local negotiations brokered by unnamed Damascus businessmen with the government to try and reach a solution that would secure the exit of fighters and civilians from eastern Ghouta.
State-run Syrian TV on Friday reported that “dozens of civilians” would likely get out of eastern Ghouta, in addition to 13 gunmen who had turned themselves in, via the Wafideen safe corridor designated by the government. The outlet has been reporting since last week that rebels have prevented civilians from leaving.
The Britain-based Observatory, which monitors the Syria war through a network of activists on the ground, also reported that dozens of people from the town of Hammouriyeh in eastern Ghouta staged a demonstration holding Syrian flags and calling for the end to the fighting in the area.
There was no confirmation by any of the rebel groups based in eastern Ghouta of negotiations to leave eastern Ghouta.
- Seven years of war have taken high toll on Syria's children
- No good options for Syria's vanquished rebels in Ghouta
- Israel blamed for missile strike in Syria; 14 reported dead
- Syrian troops on alert amid fear of US strike after attack
- Russia says Syrian government now in control of rebel town
- A Syrian family finds peace, even in squalid, crowded camp
- Violence halts rare aid delivery to Syria's eastern Ghouta
- Aid convoy enters besieged rebel-held Damascus suburbs
- Thousands of well-armed rebel fighters are in Syria’s Ghouta
- Russia-ordered 'pause' goes into effect east of Damascus
- Syria starts rebuilding even as more destruction wreaked
- New raids kill 13 in Syria suburb; calls to end carnage
- New strikes kill 10 in rebel-held suburbs of Syrian capital
- New fronts emerge in Syria as Assad, allies push for victory
- Syria confirms rare US airstrike on pro-government forces