ALBANY, N.Y. — Investigators in New York state issued a subpoena to Michael Cohen as part of their probe into the Trump Foundation, an official with Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo's administration confirmed to The Associated Press on Wednesday.
The subpoena was issued after Cohen's attorney said his client has information of interest to both state and federal prosecutors. As Trump's longtime lawyer and self-described "fixer," Cohen could potentially be a significant source of information for state investigators looking into whether Trump or his charity broke state law or lied about their tax liability.
"We can confirm that a subpoena has been issued to Michael Cohen for relevant information in light of the public disclosures made yesterday," said James Gazzale, a spokesman for the state's tax department.
If evidence of alleged crimes is found, the matter could be referred to prosecutors, who could pursue criminal charges and seek the release of Trump's tax returns. Anyone charged with a state crime in relation to the investigation
Cohen pleaded guilty in Manhattan federal court Tuesday to campaign-finance violations and other charges, saying he and Trump arranged the payment of hush money to porn star Stormy Daniels and a former Playboy model to influence the election. His attorney, Lanny Davis, said on CNN Tuesday night
"I do believe that he has information about Mr. Trump that would be of interest both in Washington as well as New York state," Davis said.
The state's investigation follows Democratic state Attorney General Barbara Underwood's lawsuit alleging Trump illegally tapped his Trump Foundation to settle legal disputes, help his campaign for president and pay for personal and business expenses, which included spending $10,000 on a 6-foot portrait of himself.
The attorney general's office is seeking $2.8 million in restitution and other unspecified penalties in its civil suit. It said that it had referred to its findings to the IRS and the Federal Election Commission for possible further action.
Messages left with attorneys for Cohen and Trump were not immediately returned Wednesday.
- Trump denies wrongdoing, says Cohen is making up stories
- News media hesitate to use 'lie' for Trump's misstatements
- Cynthia Nixon hopes for big upset as primary battle with incumbent Andrew Cuomo ends
- Mueller probe gets info from ex-Trump lawyer Michael Cohen
- Probes of Donald Trump taxes carry potential for millions in fines
- Michael Cohen pleads guilty to lying to Congress
- Trump's ex-lawyer Michael Cohen admits lying about Russian deal
- Ex-Trump fixer Michael Cohen portrayed as greedy opportunist
- Trump Foundation reaches deal to dissolve amid lawsuit
- Analysis: With Cohen plea, GOP faces familiar Trump quandary
- Inside catch and kill: Cohen, a porn star and 'Individual 1'
- Jury returns guilty verdict on eight charges in Paul Manafort charges; 10 more declared mistrial
- The Latest: Cohen says hush money paid to influence election (UPDATED)
- The Latest: Manafort found guilty on 8 of 18 counts (UPDATED)
- Legal implications on Trump or Cohen unclear on secret tape
- Trump recorded discussing paying for Playboy model's story
- A day after arrest, Stormy Daniels dances but doesn't touch
- Stormy Daniels arrested at Ohio strip club -- then released (UPDATED)
- Wet hot Washington: Stormy Daniels strips near White House
- Sanctioned Russian oligarch linked to Cohen has vast US ties
- Donald Trump ex-lawyer fires possible warning
- Michael Cohen hunts for new lawyers in FBI probe (UPDATED)
- The princes, the president and the fortune seekers
- The year of Mueller: 12 months in, here's what we've learned
- Trump considers benching Giuliani from doing TV interviews
- Giuliani finds aiding Trump with his defense is a struggle
- Shakeup in Trump's legal team may usher in tougher stance
- Giuliani comments on Stormy payment raise legal questions
- Report: Mueller team gives Trump lawyers a list of questions
- Trump says Cohen represented him in "Stormy Daniels deal"
- Lawyer: Trump ready for role in raids' evidence review
- Trump legal team in Russia probe gets Rudy Giuliani
- Mystery grows over pro-Saudi tabloid: Embassy got sneak peek
- Defending Trump in Russia probe? It's hardly a dream job
- Trump: All lawyers 'deflated' by FBI raid on Michael Cohen
- $30,000 rumor? Tabloid paid for, spiked, salacious Trump tip
- FBI raid sought Cohen's communications with Trump campaign
- As Trump fumes, senators craft a bill to protect Mueller
- New York attorney general sues Trump Foundation