NORTH RIDGEVILLE – A 34-year-old father is facing criminal charges after his 5-year-old daughter overdosed after eating a marijuana-laced gummy candy.
Police and emergency medical personnel were called to Nicolas Hall’s Rosebelle Avenue home on March 7 after the girl became lethargic and unresponsive to her parents, North Ridgeville Police Capt. Marti Garrow said.
Hall had stashed the gummy candy in a dresser drawer where the little girl found and consumed it, Garrow said. The candy is commercially available in Colorado, where marijuana is legal for both medical and recreational purposes, he said.
The girl was taken to University Hospitals St. John Medical Center, where she was treated and tested positive for marijuana, according to a police report.
“She made a full recovery pretty quickly,” Garrow said.
A search of the home didn’t turn up any additional edible marijuana or other drugs, but Garrow said drug paraphernalia was found in a car at the house.
Although Hall initially tried to evade questions about what happened, Garrow said he ultimately admitted to being responsible for the candy being in the house.
Hall is charged with endangering children, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.
The matter was also referred to Lorain County Children Services for review.
Hall is due in Elyria Municipal Court for his initial appearance next week, according to court records.