Firefighters respond to a house fire Thursday morning on High Street in Seville. NATHAN HAVENNER / GAZETTE
NATHAN HAVENNER / GAZETTE Enlarge
SEVILLE — Village Councilman Gene Sulzener said he made a quick trip to the auto parts store and when he returned at about 10 a.m., smoke was pouring out of the side of his house near the chimney.
“I went to the auto parts store downtown, so I wasn’t gone long,” Sulzener said outside his High Street home where firefighters were working Thursday. “I came back and I pulled in and noticed a little bit of smoke blowing down. There was a lot more smoke coming out of the fireplace.”
He said he believes a wood-burning stove caused the fire.
Seville–Guilford Township fire Capt. Tammy Johnson said when firefighters arrived, Sulzener, a former firefighter, was soaking the house with water from a garden hose.
“He was doing some cooling, it was preventing the fire from spreading to the rest of the house,” Johnson said. “He probably saved his house.”
Despite Sulzener’s efforts, the fire extended into the first floor and attic of the house.
Johnson said if Sulzener isolates the damaged area, the family should be able to remain in the home during repairs. A damage estimate was not available Thursday.
Besides Seville-Guilford, fire departments from Rittman, Westfield and Canaan townships responded.
Contact reporter Nathan Havenner at (330) 721-4050 or firstname.lastname@example.org.