Wadsworth quarterback Joey Baughman is Ohio's Mr. Football.
RON SCHWANE / GAZETTE Enlarge
WADSWORTH — Winning Mr. Football has its privileges.
Joey Baughman spent the summer trying to turn heads at various camps and picked up a few nibbles, but since the Ohio Prep Sportswriters Association bestowed upon him the honor of being named the best football player in the state, the Wadsworth senior’s recruiting process has turned into an all-out feeding frenzy.
Once a Virginia pledge in wrestling, Baughman informed Cavaliers coach Steve Garland of his decommitment Monday and opened up his recruitment in football.
A two-time state runner-up and three-time state placer, Baughman will still wrestle for the Grizzlies.
“It was tough to tell him,” Baughman said. “I loved him (Garland) as a coach. I loved everything he did for me. I love UVa. It was a really tough decision.”
The decisions will become tougher now as schools fight over the right to put Baughman behind center.
Baughman confirmed an official visit to Elon (N.C.) in January, but has had a ton of schools interested in him.
His phone has been ringing off the hook since the announcement as Air Force, Toledo, Kent State, West Virginia, Elon, Western Carolina and Rhode Island have showed strong interest in the 6-foot-1, 192-pound quarterback prospect.
Before that, only Malone, Walsh University, Tiffin, Saginaw Valley had the ear of Baughman.
“Football was the No. 1 choice to begin with,” Baughman said. “I went to tons of camps over the summer and never got a flinch from any coach. That’s why football was off the board for a while.
“It’s been crazy. I’ve been on my phone a lot the past few days. I think Mr. Football really got my name out there. A lot of coaches are noticing me now. I’m not too nervous. I’m just going to go with the flow pretty much.”
Contact Brad Bournival at email@example.com.
- Wadsworth's Joey Baughman recognized at Greater Cleveland Sports Awards
- Wadsworth's Baughman opts to play football at Elon
- Gazette MVP: Wadsworth's Baughman honed his craft -- with great results
- Commentary: Wadsworth's Joey Baughman delivered eye-popping numbers
- Wadsworth quarterback Joey Baughman is Ohio's Mr. Football
- Five county wrestlers have Division I scholarships
- Wadsworth's Baughman is Mr. Football finalist
- Wadsworth wrestler Baughman picks University of Virginia