COLUMBUS — More than 100 former students have provided firsthand accounts of sexual misconduct by the now-dead Ohio State University team physician at the center of an ongoing investigation, the university said on Friday.
Over 200 former students and university employees have been interviewed by independent investigators reviewing allegations against Richard Strauss involving male athletes from 14 sports as well as his work at the student health center and his off-campus medical office, University President Michael Drake said.
"We are grateful to those who have come forward and remain deeply concerned for anyone who may have been affected by Dr. Strauss' actions," Drake said. "We remain steadfastly committed to uncovering the truth."
Ohio State has urged anyone with information to contact the investigators from Seattle-based law firm Perkins Coie, who are looking into the allegations, what university officials knew and how they responded to any concerns about Strauss.
The university said investigators plan 100 or more additional interviews. Those interviewed include Republican U.S. Rep. Jim Jordan, who denies some wrestlers' claims that he knew about abuse when he was an assistant coach at Ohio State.
Former athletes say they verbally raised concerns about Strauss as early as 1978, near the start of his two decades at the university.
Ohio State has a record of at least one documented complaint against Strauss. Paperwork from 1995 shows the then-director of the student health center said a student's complaint about being inappropriately touched by Strauss during an exam was the first such complaint he'd received.
The documentation that ex-student Steve Snyder-Hill obtained from Ohio State this week shows he complained about Strauss by phone — not by letter, as he'd recalled — and got a letter back from the director, Ted Grace.
Grace now leads student health services at Southern Illinois University. He declined to comment through a spokeswoman there.
- Jim Jordan announces run for Speaker of the House
- Ohio State wants info on '96 investigation into Richard Strauss made public
- Ohio State doc's accusers await probe findings a year later
- Ex-employees: Doctor in Ohio State sex abuse inquiry aimed ads at students
- Ohio State: 145 firsthand accounts of doctor sex misconduct
- Report: Ohio State team doctor abused 177, leaders knew
- Feds to review Ohio State response to claims of abuse by team doctor (UPDATED)
- Former Ohio State wresting coach reportedly asked Rep. Jim Jordan’s accusers to recant
- 10 more ex-students sue Ohio State over sex abuse by doctor
- Ohio State abuse case echoes Larry Nassar gymnast scandal at Michigan State
- Wrestlers sue Ohio State over doctor's sexual misconduct
- APNewsBreak: Jordan interviewed in doctor sex abuse inquiry
- Rep. Jim Jordan reportedly named in new Ohio State wrestler lawsuit
- Former Ohio State athletes describe creepy people, lewd atmosphere
- Ethics review sought as ex-coaches at Ohio St. defend Jordan
- Ex-athletes say Ohio State doctor groped, ogled men for years
- US Rep. Jim Jordan denies claims he knew of Ohio State sex abuse
- Report: U.S. Rep. Jim Jordan ignored allegations of sexual abuse as Ohio State wrestling coach (UPDATED)
- APNewsBreak: Schools mum on ties to doc in Ohio State University sex abuse inquiry