PHILADELPHIA — Bill Cosby is due in Pennsylvania court Tuesday morning for a key hearing in his criminal sex-assault case.
The preliminary hearing will determine whether prosecutors have enough evidence to send the 78-year-old entertainer to trial.
Cosby is accused of drugging and molesting former Temple University employee Andrea Constand at his suburban Philadelphia mansion in 2004. Prosecutors said Constand was not only impaired, but unconscious after Cosby gave her three unidentified blue pills. Cosby said they engaged in consensual sexual activities, and that he was a friend and mentor to her.
Prosecutors reopened the criminal case last year after dozens of women raised similar claims, and Cosby’s deposition in Constand’s lawsuit surfaced.
Constand had gone to him for career advice. Cosby said he gave her the pills to address her stress.
He settled her lawsuit for an undisclosed sum in 2006, after giving four days of testimony about his extramarital affairs, his pursuit of quaaludes to seduce women and his efforts to hide payments to former lovers from his wife.
The confidential settlement bound both sides to secrecy, but a federal judge last year unsealed portions of Cosby’s deposition on a petition from The Associated Press. The full deposition was later released by a court reporting service.
Montgomery County prosecutors then reopened Constand’s decade-old complaint last summer, after realizing the 12-year window for felony sexual assault had not yet run out.
Cosby has not entered a plea since his Dec. 30 arrest. He would do so at a formal arraignment if the case is held for trial. He is being held on $1 million bail.
Cosby also is fighting defamation lawsuits across the country for allegedly smearing accusers and is trying to get his homeowners’ insurance to pay his legal bills.
Constand is now a massage therapist in Toronto. It’s not known if she will testify Tuesday or if police will instead read her statement about the encounter that night.
Cosby faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted of aggravated indecent assault.
The post Bill Cosby due in suburban Philadelphia court for preliminary hearing on sex crime allegations appeared first on Chronicle-Telegram.
- Cosby venue could move to California in sex abuse lawsuit
- What will the #MeToo movement mean for Cosby's next trial?
- At impasse, Cosby jury goes back to work on verdict
- Growing frenzy outside court as Cosby deliberations wear on
- Tensions rise as Bill Cosby jury struggles to reach verdict
- Cosby team turns to star witness with drug experts on deck
- Jury gets case after Cosby painted as predator, victim
- Constand to confront Cosby after parade of women take aim
- Cosby jokes in first show since 2015 he 'used to be' comedian
- Opening statements set in Bill Cosby's sex assault retrial
- Bill Cosby jury to hear more of his deposition testimony
- Cosby to ask judge for outside jury for criminal trial
- Race, gender, fame all issues as Cosby jury selection starts
- Cosby, a year later: Will he seek deal or prepare for trial?
- Cosby lawyers say prosecutors using 'casting couch' cliche
- Cosby judge to weigh potential testimony of 13 other women
- Jury to hear Bill Cosby's testimony about quaaludes and sex
- Will Cosby testify at sex assault trial? Lawyers remain mum
- Jury may soon hear from Cosby, even if he doesn't take stand
- Cosby's lawyer attacks 1 accuser as sex assault trial opens
- Cosby accuser to resume testimony in sex assault trial