PHILADELPHIA — Eagles coach Doug Pederson has confirmed that star quarterback Carson Wentz has a torn left ACL and will miss rest of the season and playoffs.
Wentz, a favorite in the NFL MVP race, had an MRI on Monday that confirmed the severity of the injury. Wentz was hurt late in the third quarter at Los Angeles. Backup Nick Foles rallied the Eagles (11-2) to a win that secured the NFC East title and put them in first place in the conference with three games remaining.
The Eagles have overcome several key injuries and now have to move forward without their most indispensable player. Nine-time Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters, return specialist/running back Darren Sproles, star linebacker Jordan Hicks and special-teams captain Chris Maragos already went down for the season.
- Super Bowl LII: History and former Giants QB Jeff Hostetler offer Eagles, Nick Foles hope they can pull out a win
- Super Bowl LII: Eagles QB Nick Foles credits past failures with getting him to the top
- Philly's Wentz shows flaws and potential in loss to Seattle
- Big plays galore in Week 9 of the NFL season
- Browns defense hopes to confuse Eagles rookie QB Carson Wentz in the pocket, punish him if he runs
- Eagles relying on two rookies in the most vital roles as opener with Browns looms
- Browns Notes: Cleveland didn't believe in QB Carson Wentz in the draft, and now will face him in opener
- Petrak’s five thoughts on Browns’ deal with Eagles
- (UPDATED) Browns deal No. 2 pick to Eagles, choose more picks over QB
- Browns deal second overall pick to Eagles; Goff or Wentz now seem out of reach
- NFL Draft 2016: Late-blooming QB and possible top pick Carson Wentz has plenty of supporters … and some doubters
- Scott Petrak: Don’t be afraid Browns, draft a quarterback
- Browns won’t have pick of QBs in NFL Draft after Rams trade up for No. 1 pick
- Browns Notes: Coach Hue Jackson watches Carson Wentz’s pro day, assistant Pep Hamilton brings out water bottle again
- NFL Scouting Combine: North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz shows off arm and athleticism as he makes push to be 1st QB drafted; OSU’s Cardale Jones pulls hamstring, doesn’t throw